Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Adversity

"Uh, oh", I thought, forcing my legs to churn down the path past Anderson Bridge.
"This is going to be a bad one."

My legs were a bit tight and kind of tired. They creaked as I started off my first mile to meet Korea.

I was worried the run would be one long slog, or that I'd have to cut it short.

But I ran an extended route with Korea and felt great the whole time. The miles felt shorter, even, than they usually do.

Why had I thought they would be so bad?

Because I haven't really pushed myself for a long time. Because I haven't had the feeling of going out on tired legs for my morning run.

Because I haven't had enough adversity.

When I run a lot more, I get used to tired legs, to tired body, to stretching those muscles out while I run.

Now, it's a foreign feeling, much like speedwork.

And companionship certainly helps me forget that tiredness. How many times did I groan my way to Grand Army Plaza on a way-too-early Saturday morning, only to have a wonderful, companion-filled run where I ran almost double the distance I was expecting to be capable of?

But even after I left Korea at the BU bridge and continued on to the Register Bridge and back to Harvard campus, I remained energized.

I need to start remembering what exertion in the face of tiredness feels like. School starts soon.
A bit over 11 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment