Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Other Side of Mass Ave

Or, how Suave's voice in my head told me to turn around


"I'm going somewhere different," I resolved. "I need to figure out more of the area. And too much river or pond gets monotonous."

So I set to mapping.

Alas, the Tufts run, which my brother promised was so full of steep inclines that my rear would hurt for a week, was too short.

I was trying for 10-12.

I ended up failing but interestingly.

I saw a park on the map, you see. A park called Forest Park.

This conjured up softly lit memories of Ivy League, East New York and Queens.

Maybe it would be as nice as the other Forest Park!


Well, it did conjure up images of East New York.

I never saw the park.

Crossing the highway turn-off was like crossing most town's MLK, Jr., Boulevard.

From green and brownstones to orange Uhaul signs and people at busstops who weren't waiting for a bus.

When it turned into empty lots and light industry, I started hearing the voice louder in my head.

"Sarah, don't be an idiot! It's probably fine but you have no idea whether the neighborhood sill get worse! And if you go and start running around a park-I.e.-acres of greenery with no houses or businesses around-in a neighborhood like the one you are in, that would really be violating the don't-be-an-idiot rule!"

At first, I resisted. After all, I had my water bottles! I could use them as weapons, if need be!

But, finally, I heeded that voice and turned around.

Instead of a park and a 12+ mile run, I experienced Mass Ave and a 8 to 9 mile run/walk.

I walked at the end because I stopped at Whole Foods. Had to get a dose of yuppie, you know!

Interestingly, I used up almost all of my water in my water bottles and was still dehydrated when I got home. This humidity will not let up.

I do now know where to get my car fixed and my party linens washed, however.

Knowledge is an important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment