Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Second Half Was Better

But the first half was a bit rough!

Bounding out like he usually does, my brother was tearing through pent up stress and energy built up in him from too much work and too little working out.

"I don't want a tempo run!"

Repeat

Repeat

At the beginning of the run, you could tell that neither of us had had enough sleep recently. Though we were going to Fresh Pond, my brother headed off towards the Charles. And I followed, without a thought of how odd our course was, given our destination.

Fortunately, we realized our error and managed to wend our way around the long way to Fresh Pond Boulevard.


The weather: about 100% humidity and about 85 degrees. About what happens when you decide to run at 2:45 in the afternoon when it's been threatening rain but not delivering.

The news: fantastic! My brother and his wife are going to have a baby! That's baby number two for the family this year! Whee!

I've got a quad twinge that was also acting up the first part of the run-when I try to push, it and my calf start twinging a bit. Twinges make me nervous!

Around and a half of Fresh Pond, stopping briefly to say hi to his wife and to play with the doggies.

Fact: apparently, only Cambridge doggies are allowed to go off-leash around Fresh Pond. Their lower-brow Somerville neighbors are not. Classism? Or sensibleness?

We then ran up to the Fresh Pond theater, a creepy area with a aril mall and weird empty parking lots. Up a dirt trail to the bridge and we ran down to the Alewife T stop, where we picked up the Cambridge bike path.

I would love to figure out where I can pick this up! By the time we finished our stint on it, I was so turned around that I wouldn't be able to get back there on my own.

Thankfully, at this point in the run, my brother had tired. I was actually going a bit faster than him! But we had definitely slowed from our prior pace.

And boy, was I thirsty! These high humidity runs almost require water bottles. After coming out somewhere near the library and wending our way back to campus, we raced into the first convenience store spew saw, bought two large waters and guzzled them down.

Whew!

2 comments:

  1. Twinges: I demand, "Go Away." Congratulations to your Boston brother and his wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Helen! I love your new blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete