Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Fresh Pond

Is kinda creepy in the middle of the day

Starting off my run at 2:00pm, with an allergy alert and weather imported from my previous residence, I decided to run around Fresh Pond.

Down Brattleboro street, with its Tory housing and leafy eaves, I was semi-protected. The first part of the run still felt awful, though. I was sluggish and couldn't seem to go at any pace whatsoever.

Water bottles were annoying me as I labored away. The turn onto Fresh Pond Parkway took way too long to get to.

But I chugged on.

And started around Fresh Pond. Automatically, my eyes darted left to the giant apartment building looming over the other end of the reservoir. "half way point", I muttered to myself. "I can get there."

Off I went. Chug chug chug. Heavy trees and grass up near my ears were on one side, the choppy waters of the overfilled lake on the other.

Almost no one around.

Am I back in rural Alabama? Deliverance?

Creepy. I picked up my pace, without even realizing it.

The water bottles became aids in my stride instead of hinderances. I channelled Gorgeous's piston steam engine arm motion. Chugchugchug.

I passed the apartment building. "ok. Halfway!".

Abruptly, I was next to the water treatment plant. Almost around! How did that happen?

Then, back up the hill towards Brattle. Chugchugchugchugchug. I felt so much better!

The run transformed itself from a trail of tears to a galavant of grins.

All because I got creeped out in the gloom of abandoned Fresh Pond.

I'll have to remember that.

Now to find running buddies. I need some more motivation!

My brother will likely embarrass me into trying harder next week. We are running tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment