Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

I Have No Idea Where He Took Me

But I want to go again!

4:00am. Thunder. Ever-increasing rain. "Booh. No run, it looks like." But today was one of the few days where it was better to wait a while. By 8:30, work had been done, I was feeling virtuous and the rain had tapered off.

Bopping along to music, on my way to GAP to meet Ivy League and being my usual no-glasses-wearing, blind self, it took me several seconds and Ivy League waving his hands over his head for me to realize that plans had changed!

This was to be no usual, pretty but generic over-the-Brooklyn-Bridge run.

No. It was an adventure! I hate surprises but love adventures, so I was game.

I would love to tell you where we went....... But I can't.

I can give you clues, however.

Started on Eastern Parkway and ran on Lincoln Place for a while, parallel to Eastern. When we got dumped back on Eastern, we decided to just go with it and continue onwards.

I say 'we'. I was along for the adventure. Ivy League was in the driver's seat for this one.

Down Eastern, through Brownsville. Then we took a right on Bushwick. When we saw a cemetery, we followed it around.

Eek! An on-ramp for the Jackie Robinson!
Quick thinking got us over the on-ramp and down into a neighborhood.

Beautiful houses, sandwiched by the more usual duplexs, met us. "Are we in Queens?" "We have to be. We just crossed Jackie Robinson." "I wonder if we'll get to Forest Park. I've always wanted to go there." "Me, too! Ooh! Look at the view those houses have!"

Alas, the view was tantalizing us but just beyond the houses possessively covering it, so we couldn't tell exactly what it was a view of. But the glimpse was enough to know that it was SomeThing.

And then........Forest Park! EEEEE! I had never known how to run there! But somehow Ivy League had gotten us there. Or, at least, to part of it.
First, we ran around a higher point in the park, with a jogging path, few people, and a ravine in the center. Then, we crossed over to what seemed more like a series of playing fields, whose paths were sometimes soggy and sometimes tree-branch-ridden but all beautiful.

"This is my new favorite run! Me, too!"

The second part of the park brought us out to a different place than where we entered but back on the street with The View. I spied a hill. So down we went! It was really steep. Glad we didn't go for my original thought, which was to run back up it.

Ran down and got to Sutter (?) somehow. Ran past the L, Z, M and A trains. Went past Saratoga. I though I knew where we were.

But then, surprise! Numbered streets appeared. Weird. I was lost again.

We found our way when we passed Remington and braved the hill on Utica to get back to Eastern Parkway. I left Ivy League at Brooklyn Avenue, where he was off to soak in the gorgeous houses that hide just to the south of Eastern Parkway, on Carroll and President.

I hope I can find my way back down the rabbit hole because I loved loved loved that park!

No comments:

Post a Comment