Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Oh Boy!

Gorgeous had to cancel doing that ultra-tough tempo workout today.

I should have been basking in it, doing extra work and just enjoying life.

But I don't do that super well, so I arranged to meet Ivy League in Prospect Park for some tempo work. Though I warned him I might not make it the whole way: Tuesday really took it out of my legs. Even though I just did cross-training yesterday, biking to work and back, my knees were iffy and my hamstrings were still tight and kind of sore when I rolled out of bed this morning.

All clear evidence that I just haven't been pushing myself enough in training. The workouts this week shouldn't have made me feel like that. It's good to be reminded when you've been lazy.

After running to meet him at GAP, we did a fairly strange and challenging route to make 8 in the park. After a slow first mile, we picked it up to around a 7:17 pace and kept it there for the rest of the run. It was a combination of transverses, switching directions and then, finally, a loop of the park followed by a reverse back up the zoo hill and to GAP.
Legs = heavy. On the plus side, my breathing was pretty good. Not winded except for two places. One was where I just felt like I was about to cry and started to hyperventilate.

I felt the more stupid because I had this reaction for no reason. I chalked it up to frustration and bullied myself out of the mood.

Another was on zoo hill. Ivy League kept the pace but I had to slow down a bit. My legs were tired enough that somehow my breathing was affected too. It was weird. Luckily, my gluts were burning so much that I didn't notice the breathing until afterwards!

Then a run home, at a much slower pace. Still don't see how I'm supposed to keep such a pace for a whole race. Still thinking seriously about postponing NY. I just couldn't, and then didn't want to, take the training seriously enough early on.

Glad that I hung on for most of it, at least! Plus, it was a good distraction from the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment