Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Uncharted Territory, again

Ivy League takes me to places I've never been! What a guy.

From the man who brought you Brownsville, the greenway to the beach, East New York and the end of the 3 line.........


The side streets near Riverside Drive!

I raced up to my office, threw on my running clothes, and got outside just in the nick of time to meet him this afternoon. Hyped on teaching, little food and chalk dust, I was gabbing furiously as we ran down to the entryway to the West Side path.

Far different than at 6:00am, the blue sky was glowing and so was I. Up the path to the turn-off to Riverside Drive, we, of course, chose the turn-off. The path past there is too tilted for running.

Plus, there is more interesting scenery elsewhere. If you run enough in Manhattan, you see a lot of water. And people in skimpy/tight running clothes. Best to change it up!

Up through the park then onto Riverside past 110th. The run felt great. We were going at a comfortable but still brisk pace, strengthening our ankles on the cobblestones.

And then.......

We went a little crazy.

We crossed the road to the other side. And then went further.

So many different countries and cities and eras we visited today. Paris in the spring. London near Harrod's. Castles from the middle ages. All on the West Side of Manhattan.

Budget traveling, indeed! Even to the modern of the modern: Riverside Boulevard, home of Trump towers and a great place to to striders.

And Ivy League took me there. What a sport!

He really does have some great routes up his sleeve. Excited about the one we'll be doing later in the week.

Perfect pace for today and perfect length. I've needed a run that just made me happy all over. I've been feeling a bit of burn-out recently. This one did the trick. All at a bargain of about 7 miles.

Plus, I got a smoothie. Mmmmmmmm.

Now, to see to my quad. I've got to roll it even more. Ouchiness on the horizon.

BTW - more evidence for my claims about the crossword crowd and their proclivities.
Sunday 19a: cry after poor service.......Let
Yes, they referenced the US Open.
Of course, I have also been watching the US Open, but still......I might well be the 60+year old man who was also doing the Sunday puzzle this morning on the train at 6:30am......Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear about the resolved burn out!

    "poor service... let." Haw!

    ReplyDelete