Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Weight of the World

No speedwork because of work. Just wouldn't have been able to get there in time. Plus, didn't want to take the chance of tweaking my quad.

Instead, met up with Superman near Grand Central Station and ran home.

I do mean run. Not jog, not meander, not stroll. He was in a hurry to get home.

I had to keep working after I got home. In addition to my clothes and shoes, I had an Epistemology textbook and another large tome in my backpack.

Breathing hard after the first block, I kept up as best I could. Does this count as a viable speedwork alternative? My legs this morning say "yes".

I had run shorter on Monday, thinking we were going to take the East Side all the way down to the Brooklyn Bridge and then over - faster for him but longer for me.

Instead, we went down the East Side, where dodging in-line skaters was easier than dodging bankers and traders on the main streets, cutting over to the Williamsburg Bridge and taking it, instead. Massive hill. Oof.

Down Bedford, where we parted ways at Atlantic. Up to Eastern Parkway, then found my way home. Did I know that I wasn't running as much as I had planned? I had an idea.

Could I have added on? Yes. But David Lewis and food were calling and the backpack was feeling pretty heavy. So a bit over 10 1/2 it was. A challenging 10 1/2, at least, with banker-dodging, car evading, bus avoiding and bridge crossing.

1 comment: