Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Lucky

I ran to work yesterday. Starting at at bit after 5:30am.

I am lucky to have to do so sometimes.

Yes, you read correctly. It is lucky that I get to do this.

At least, on days like yesterday. Winter is a different story!

Pink and black backpack strapped on, green short shorts and red shirt. Headphones and a white wristband.

I was set.

Down Eastern Parkway and over to Union. Still really dark. I have to go slowly on this part; I'm scared I'll trip on some of the flagstone edges I can't see because of the darkness.

Still dark over the Brooklyn Bridge. Due to the lights of Manhattan and the amount of moonlight yesterday morning, the glass buildings were a series of rainbows. The sky was a deep purple and the water had that blue-purple-green wash to it that only seriously polluted water has. Visually stunning.

Remind me not to eat the local seafood.

Then, over to the West Side path, in time to see the complete process of the sunrise. Pink and purple and blue plastic clouds in and ever lightening sky.

And I got to remember and experience, first-hand, why I need to make sure to watch my weight. As I had to bring a fair amount of stuff to work, my backpack was completely full. Nothing too heavy individually but, jointly, enough to make an impact. No wonder my knees used to hurt so much when I started running!

It was like I was carrying a bit of my own history on my back, history I could unbuckle and throw on the dirty blue office carpet.

These running moments don't happen super often. Enjoy them.

Oh, and I figured out a teaching problem on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment