Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Liberated Woman

Or, I've got a Bicycle and I'm not Afraid to Use it!


Armed with my pulsing safety vest and bright red helmet, I pushed off pedals for the first time ever in New York, and for the first time in several years, period.

So fun! Me being me, I stopped for all the lights, of course. That took a while in Brooklyn. But over the Bridge and onto the West Side, it was breezy and easy.

Of course, that might be because I was biking the equivalent of a 13-minute mile.


Gotta take it slowly, first time out!

"Geesh" I thought. "Why in the world do I run? Look at all these red-faced, sweating people, with their mouths and foreheads all wrinkled up. Think about what I'd be saving on Botox later in life if I were to switch to biking!"

I also got passed by an obese man on a folding bike. It reminded me a bit of my swimming prowess: somebody's got to make those old ladies feel good about themselves!

The U.S. Open - a last-minute opportunity - stranded my wheels at work. If they are still there today, I'll ride 'em home. Safety vest blinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment